05 February, 2010

Sudden Div III Idea?

Okay, so a sudden inspiration came to me on the bus on the way back to Hampshire from Smith (though I don't know how viable an idea it really is). For my Div III, I could do some sort of art-based after school program, like Victoria's doing (except her's is movement-based). It was just a thought as I was trying to figure out how to get a teaching job after college and stuff. Not a terrible idea, but I have quite some time to think about what I want to be doing for my Div III.
In my Screen Comedy class at Smith today, we talked about a really old (ancient Greek-originated) stock comedy plot concerning two lovers whose love is blocked by some opposing force (usually a parent - someone older) and is aided by some servant who usually handles all the intrigue and intricacies. I guess I didn't realize exactly how much the commedia dell'arte took from ancient times; I knew the tradition was old, but I didn't realize how exceedingly similar. I kept getting visions of commedia today, I suppose. (We were discussing this because we have just watched A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, which is a particularly good example of this stock comedy plot.)
We also discussed some stock characters, and M*A*S*H got mentioned, which is always exciting. We were talking about alazon and eiron - how Frank Burns is an example of an alazon, and Hawkeye is an eiron (and such a good one, too!). Commedia and Hawkeye in one class period. Can it get much better?
I also decided I want to get some artwork done this weekend, though Lord only knows when. I have quite a bit of Italian homework to do (which I will hopefully get working on right after posting this), as well as a chapter to finish reading for my tap class. I have more time with the latter since my tap class is on Monday night, so I should concentrate mostly on the Italian.
This weekend is also the final weekend (of two...) of Tara's Div III show, so I have that to work on, as well. I need to remember to charge my camera batteries so that I can take pictures of my work. I'm also going to have to do laundry next week, since everything we borrowed from Hampshire's costume loft has to be washed before it's returned. Kind of a drag, but it is what it is.
So, I want to do some artwork (of a personal nature) this weekend, but I don't have any particular inspiration, and possibly not much in the way of time. We'll see how it goes, like I said.
All right, I guess I've run out of interesting things to say (or at least things that other people would find interesting to read).

Today's post was brought to you by parenthetical statements!

No comments:

Post a Comment